Friday, October 21, 2005

For David: Happy Birthday!

My brother David called me this morning during his commute on the "Causeway." The longest bridge in the world (and he knows it), it spans 25 miles in the middle of Lake Ponchartrain to the south shore into Metairie and eventually to I-10 leading to New Orleans. My family has been very blessed in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. They never complain about the "interruption of life" this storm has created knowing many others have lost so much. David celebrated his ?? birthday yesterday.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm posting this famous rant from "Designing Women's" Julia Sugarbaker. I guess it's maybe that there is just a little bit of Julia in David. Come to think of it, every member of my family is portrayed in "Designing Women":

Julia- David (caring, but a bitch when need be)
Mary Jo- Me (always writing editorials to newspapers when politicians are just plain idiots)
Suzanne- DEFINITELY my brother Mark (permanently beautiful, but prone to "potty mouth")
Charlene- my sister Mary (sweet, caring and always well-intentioned)
Anthony- my brother Jerry (I think "Anthony" was straight)
Bernice- My mother Rose (a little wacky, but always lovable)

David, here it is:

"Yes, and I gather from your comments there are a couple of other things you don't know, Marjorie. For example, you probably didn't know that Suzanne was the only contestant in Georgia pageant history to sweep every category EXCEPT Miss Congeniality, and that is NOT something the women in my family aspire to anyway. Or that when she walked down the runway in her swimsuit, five contestants quit on the spot. Or that when she emerged from the isolation booth to answer the question, "What would you do to prevent war?" she spoke so eloquently of patriotism, battlefields and diamond tiaras, grown men wept. And you probably didn't know, Marjorie, that Suzanne was not just any Miss Georgia, she was THE Miss Georgia. She didn't twirl just a baton, that baton was on fire. And when she threw that baton into the air, it flew higher, further, faster than any baton has ever flown before, hitting a transformer and showering the darkened arena with sparks! And when it finally did come down, Marjorie, my sister caught that baton, and 12,000 people jumped to their feet for sixteen and one-half minutes of uninterrupted thunderous ovation, as flames illuminated her tear-stained face! And that, Marjorie --- just so you will know --- and your children will someday know --- is the night the lights went out in GEORGIA!"

Love you David!