Monday, October 10, 2005

Coupon "Queens"

It's already turning out to be a busy Monday and I've just returned from Walmart to pickup a few things. I have to credit to my partner John. He's helped me master the art of coupon clipping and corresponding our shopping needs to these neatly clipped, bar-coded golden tickets.

My Walmart total came to $45.75 and after coupons I paid $33.47 to which my cashier responded: "God, you never see men use coupons. I could have just let that comment lie, but for those who know me, well...... I went on to tell her I was a motivational speaker that teaches men to economize and tidy up their lives. My cashier, I'll call her Shirl, was quite intriqued. Yes, I continued remarking that I went from city to city handing out catagorized organizers in packed meeting rooms preaching the practice of practical shopping.

DOUBLE & TRIPLE COUPONS
Supermarkets make money off the quick-trippers and and non-coupon clippers. It's always a bonanza to find a big, chain grocery store that double and triples coupons. You can even save more money tailoring your shopping experience buying sale items for which you already have a coupons. You may have to sub a brand here or there, but what the who.

BRAND NAMES vs. STORE BRAND
Beware when clipping coupons for name brand items. The store brand usually ends up cheaper even after couponing a name brand. This goes for items like glass cleaner, paper and plastic products, frozen foods and dairy.

WHAT SHOULD I BUY WHERE?
Walmart is always going to be your best bet for general merchandise. This includes any personal hygiene items like soaps, razors, shampoos, anti-perspirant, to other items like pet food and over the counter medications.
example: "Maalox Max" at a local supermarket is $6.29. Walmart sells the indentical product for $4.29 and this item is frequently couponed at $1.00 off, making your Maalox now $3.29. That is half of the cost of the supermarket! Nifty huh?!!

You cannot beat the pricing of food items at a big chain supermarket with couponing. STILL,always be on the lookout for what could be considered a "Walmart" purchase.

WHAT IF I LIVE IN A BIG, SCARY CITY?
Big metrpolitan cities like New York and Chicago usually don't have "Big Bob's Grocery Bonanza." It's all about quaint neighborhood markets, which are really great, but they're not going to save you any money. This is where you just have to get inventive and make do. You'll soon find a place to shop for food and another for the other items and still use coupons. With hygenic, and general merchandise, it's always going to be worth stocking up with a trip to the burbs.

BUT NO MATTER THE PLACE..... keep clipping, filing and saving!