Thursday, February 14, 2008

Time for Sports...with Pat Tomasulo














Chicago's WGN Morning Sports Anchor Pat Tomasulo

Okay, if I have to watch sports, the anchor has to be cute and a really great guy. Chicago has a gem in Pat Tomasulo.

You never know what to expect in the morning from the dry - witted sports guy, but usually he is spot on hysterical and original. Tamosulo once lost a bet and agreed to be wrapped naked in "Saran Wrap" (he donned a black speedo.....we looked....CLOSELY!)

On a grocery shopping excursion one Sunday morning, my partner John and I literally ran into Pat (turning a corner.) John was horrified as I shrieked: "Oh my God. It's Pat Tomasulo!" Pat managed a very polite: "Yes it is, what about that? How are you guys?" We complimented him about his broadcasts and there was minor chit - chat. Then he asked: "They've rearranged this store. Do you guys know where are the toothpicks?" John knew I'd be all over this one. So began Pat and Matt's search for toothpicks. I remember thinking: Is he serving cheese or really picking his teeth? Oh, who gives a shit, I'm with Pat!

We found the toothpicks and he shook my hand with a Thanks! Nice to meet you. and a wink. Ohhhhhhh.....it took all the strength in the world not to ask: Something else you can't find? I returned to John who knew that I had done something that could possibly require a restraining order.

Fast forward to Chicago's 2007 Pride Parade. With John out of town, I was wandering the parade route and BAM...Pat Tomasulo! Hey, Hey...no wandering thoughts here, he was looking for the "WGN" float. "Hey. it's the toothpick guy! How are ya'? he exclaimed with a big grin. I immediately pulled out my cell phone and called John. Pat was on to my scheme. "Okay, I'm talking to your buddy. What's his name again?" With no hesitation he took my phone: "Hey John, this is Pat, you know Pat Tomasulo? Oh, I'm here with Matt at the Pride parade. How are you buddy?" Now that's a great guy!


Pat waving from the "WGN" Pride float (far left)


Pat with some "Bears"

Even though he lost his appeal to sing: "Take Me Out" at a "Chicago Cubs" game, that did not stop him from slamming a very lame, "American Idol" cast-off performance of that song by Kelly Pickler. His commentary:

  • "Pickler's Painful"


  • Don't worry Pat, at least you have your own "bobble - head" and well-deserved to one hellava great sport (no pun intended.)