Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sunset










Actor Heath Ledger

The reactions to the loss of this young talent have ranged from shock and devastation to: "Well there is other news!"

Whatever the cause, his death will leave a unique void in his craft (how he referred to acting.) The majority of the exteriors of Ledger's last film, "Dark Knight" were shot only a block from my office.

I tend to stay away from news message boards as most of what's posted is crazy ranting. However, I did read one this morning that was unfortunate: "What a legacy: being remembered playing a homosexual."

There is no doubt that Ledger's portrayal as the emotionally tortured Ennis del Mar from the Oscar winning film: "Brokeback Mountain" took him to the next level in his "craft." Ledger didn't hesitate to sign on to the project because to him "Brokeback" was just another challenge, one that earned him an Oscar nomination for "Best Actor." His taciturn performance was incredible, sometimes its what Ledger's "Del Mar" did not say that made his character so moving. I found I couldn't take my eyes off his face. Ledger forced you to try to read him and that is something I hope did not carry over into his personal life.

His sad and untimely passing silences one of the most talented actors of our time.