Saturday, September 03, 2005

"Katrina's answered prayers"

I was very surpised while caring for my father during his illness that I found a small, handwritten list of prayer intentions while putting away some clean laundy in his tee-shirt drawer. At the top of the list was: "Bring my son home." I had already returned home from Dallas to care for he and my mom. I began to cry when I read it. My father had some sense of his mortality and his prayer was answered.

The circumstances surrounding my return to Dallas after my father's death was filled with the same upheaval (if not more) than my first move. Most painful was the reality that I would finally have to address my dependency. My doctor declared: "each to their corner." I would have to cutoff all communications with my family during this period as they were a player in my behavior. I know I could not just come out and say this. As I further address my recovery process in later lostings, I have not spoken to my immediate family in the many months.

The ongoing horrific suffering by those in the regions affected by hurricane Katrina are now FINALLY seeing much needed aid. Katrina has also brought an answer to a repeated prayer of my own. My once estranged family evacuated to Plano, Texas. Through a series of phone calls (dialing into the frustrating area codes of 504 and 985 in which cell calls are almost impossible due to the storm) I had an emotional and tearful conversation with my brother David. He gave me the address and I was on my way to smiles and tears seeing my mother, sister and my brother.

Thank you Uncle Calvin and Aunt Thelma!! My brother Mark and his partner rode out the storm in their home in Madisonville. Mark still gets shaken up when describing their experience. The reports are all good concerning everyone's homes. Mark, I love you so much and ya'll hang in there!

In the broad spectrum of this disaster, I continue to pray for those affected by Katrina, but I thank God and St. Joseph for a prayer answered. I have my family, my health (both mental and physical) and right now considering the suffering of so many others, that's exceptional and nothing short of a miracle.

-Matt