Friday, August 11, 2006

"The Cat that Barks"


Some of you may have read postings in which I mention our cat Skutty. I think it's time you knew a little more about our freaky, lovable feline.

"Skutty....hmmmmm..that's a stange name" you say. Skutty was adopted from the New Orleans S.P.C.A. about 12 years ago. When I ventured to the shelter to pick out a cat, I found it funny that all the "pretty" breeds were showcased in the "eye-view" cages. As I stared around, I noticed in the bottom corner row, a small black and white kitten sitting with a stare. I was intrigued by the silence as all the other kittens were screaming. I asked to hold the silent but curious kitten. As I held her, she laid her head in the nook of my folded arm and was completely still. She knew that she was sprung. I looked no further and adopted "Skutty."

As for her name, we owe that to former Tulane University women's basketball player, Christy Thomaskutty. A point-guard for the Tulane "Green Wave", Christy holds the school record for the most three point shots. Fans and teammates quickly pegged the player "Skutty." I thought that would be a great name for a cat. Eventually we would become friends with Christy and she would meet her namesake.

Skutty is not your average cat. She behaves more like a dog than a feline. She can fetch and comes to me on command. The command is rather strange if you don't know me. It is the "Skutty Cat Call." No matter where Skutty is hiding or hanging out she will appear on this command, expecting a reward of course. Even when she managed to escape my house in New Orleans and ventured down two properties, I called her and she came flying up the street, up the stairs to my porch and ran inside to her food bowl.

Skutty was not a talker until I moved to Texas. She manages a pathetic "meow" when a can opener is used (thinking tuna) or when she wants your attention. Now that we live in Chicago, she has become even more animated. When I get out of bed in the morning, I'm greeted with a meow and I meow back and so on. If I do not hear my alarm in the morning, she will meow in my face until I get up (making her part rooster as well.) She is with me now as I'm typing this sleeping next to my chair. Not a "lap cat", Skutty prefers to sit next to you and be admired. She loves to hang out with me and will lay next to me if I'm sick or feeling down. She sits next to me when I'm shaving in the morning and sit betweens the liner and curtain when I'm taking a shower.

Since we moved into our loft, there are designated areas we call "kitty killers." These areas would be the hallway (our building is the home of many huge dogs), the utility closet (a maze of twisted pipes and steel), and under the kitchen sink. If she should venture near any of these areas, I scream in a high pitch: "KITTY KILLER!"
This frightens my partner John and reinforces the fact that I am indeed a freak and must be accepted as such.

Skutty loves my partner John. He is an avid reader and she loves a human body that is at rest. She will curl and fall asleep. When John plays too rough with Skutty, she will bite him at which John will exclaim: "Ow, bitch!" Skutty NEVER bites me.

Skutty has many aliases: "Miss Kitty","Girlfriend","Puddin' Head", "Mini-Head", and "Hey Bitch" when she is being bad. An open drawer or armoire is "kitty" heaven to Skutty. If not careful, Skutty can be locked in an armoire all day. When John or myself get home from the office and she is not at the door to greet us, the armoire is a safe bet. Once opened, she'll give a big yawn and hop out.

Skutty travels well. However, she did not like the drive from Texas to Chicago. I attempted to make the trip in one day, but she would have the final say as her crying drove me into a Holiday Inn Express at Rolla, Missouri. We both needed some food and a good night's sleep.

So that's Skutty, still as cute and lovable as the day I held her at the shelter, still taking care of me.