Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Ipods, the el, and Miss Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

My office is just steps away from my el stop at Chicago Ave. It never fails, as I exit our building there's always a train leaving. I made my way to the platform today and there no seats as it was rush hour. Well there WAS one seat left and as I started to pass it I noticed why. There was a slightly disheveled woman with an arm brace, one tooth and an empty cup. I almost went with crowd and passed, but something told me to sit next to her. She kindly offered: "I don't bite." I quickly came back with: "Hey, it's okay if you do. I've had my shots" The woman smiled and seemed surprised that I was engaing her in conversation.

Anyone who has ridden Chicago's elevated train know it's Ipods, books or just attitude, no one really talks. On a good day the train is a buffet of male eye snack of "Loop" professionals. Those are the guys sure to exit at Belmont headed to North Halsted. Anyway, my new friend Nancy asked: "so are you Brown Line or Purple Line?" I explained that I could take either which made me Burple. She laughed again saying: "I like you." A part of me suddenly became very frightened yet curious to see how this was going to play out. "How do I get to Fullerton?" she asked. "Well, you can take purple or brown which makes you burple. "Like you" she said. "Yes, like me.

Anyway, a train arrived and I boarded with my new friend. She started to explain she had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and was recently in the hospital. She also had acute arthritis. She threw in the occasional expletive and started to talk louder. The other riders started to stare at her and roll their eyes. They seemed even more unnerved at the fact that I was answering her. She went on to explain when the train was full, people are rude and never offer her a seat as she can't hold onto the rail beacuse of her brace. I suddenly realized this had become her "Norma Rae" moment, but instead of holding up a sign that said "Union," it was "Seat."

Nancy said "If you've noticed, I'm a little crazy." I responded: "That's okay, I've ridden the crazy train before. And besides, aren't we all a little crazy." The riders became increasing annoyed, but Nancy's stop was near as the ever ubiquitous announcer blared: "Fullerton is next. Doors open on the left at Fullerton. Transfer to Red Line trains at Fullerton." "It was nice to meet you." she said standing up. "You're pretty. Be safe." She waved and exited. "Pretty" I thought. That's my brother Mark (yes David you can laugh here.) Suddenly the woman next to me said; "You shouldn't talk to them." I coldly replied: Yes, and that's exactly why I wasn't talking to you.